For more than 40 years Serotta has offered original owners a lifetime warranty on its frames and forks. This warranty covered defective workmanship and materials.
We believe this warranty policy set unrealistic expectations that a frame and fork will last forever. Lightweight, high-performance framesets that are ridden, and ridden hard, have a finite lifespan and can’t be expected to last forever.
Under multiple prior owners and managers, Serotta did not maintain consistent records of warranty registrations. This lack of record-keeping, combined with the fact that many of the 40,000 or so frames Serotta built over the years have been sold by their original owners, makes it exceptionally difficult and many times even impossible to verify the original owner of specific framesets.
In light of this, we are updating Serotta’s warranty coverage as follows:
- Original owners of custom models with proof of purchase dated before May 3, 2012: Limited 10-year warranty effective on date of purchase. In addition, we are adding crash protection coverage regardless of whether a prior version of Peace of Mind protection was purchased.
- Original owners of stock models with proof of purchase dated before May 3, 2012: Limited 5-year warranty effective on date of purchase. In addition, we are adding crash protection coverage regardless of whether a prior version of Peace of Mind protection was purchased.
- Original owners of all models with proof of purchase dated on or after May 3, 2012: Limited warranty provided at time of sale honored. We will honor the warranty for framesets built under the current ownership and have improved the crash-protection program by extending it to 10 years.
- Owners without proof of purchase and frames not covered above: Frames and/or forks will be repaired or replaced at a 40 percent discount for 5 years from the production date and at a 20 percent discount for 10 years from the production date. This is an improvement over the original warranty since it does not require proof of purchase.
Why the difference in the custom and stock warranty terms? Because we are confident that the custom frame was designed to meet the specific needs of an individual cyclist and was built and used as intended.
The owner of the frame is responsible for providing proof of purchase, paying all shipping charges as well as part removal and rebuild charges. We will only accept a frame and fork; all frame parts, including headset and bottom bracket, should be removed prior to shipment to the factory. All repairs and replacements will be done at the discretion of the factory. Due to limited capacity and parts availability, lugged steel frames may need to be replaced instead of repaired.
In order to qualify for the coverage outlined above, owners must have registered their framesets before Dec. 31, 2013.
Separately, we are simplifying Peace of Mind crash protection coverage.
For all original owners with proof of purchase: 40 percent off repairs and replacement for the first 5 years after the production date and 20 percent off repairs and replacement for the subsequent 5 years, bringing the total Peace of Mind protection to 10 years.
If you do need to start the warranty process, we make every effort to get you back on your bike quickly:
Simply email email@example.com and we will respond promptly. Please provide us with:
- your frame’s serial number (usually located on the underside of the bottom bracket shell, but in some cases is on the inside face of the rear dropouts)
- location and date of purchase and receipt
- a brief description of the problem
Photos are very much appreciated and can greatly speed up the process. You are also welcome to call our customer care department at (518) 584-8100 if you would prefer to speak with someone in person. We will not accept delivery of any warranty claims without authorization prior to shipment; please don’t ship first and ask questions later!